The Tomatis method began as auditory therapy and has become a technique effective early learning for children with cognitive problems.
What is the Tomatis Method?
The Tomatis method is a therapeutic work that, in principle, was created to treat hearing loss but studies of its creator took him to see the influence in the daily life of the auditory system to psychomotor levels, making the Tomatis method in a learning technique children’s or educational system for children with difficulties.
The Tomatis method was created in the 50s of the last century and is named after its creator, the French otolaryngologist world famous psychologist and researcher, Alfred Tomatis (1920-2001).
This method focuses on the education of the auditory system as a means of knowledge, communication between the inner world of each child and the outside world in general. The Tomatis method attempts to educate the listener to a perception, interpretation and communication with the outside world as correct as possible.
The Tomatis method has spread from France to the rest of the world training people to teach this technique early learning and therapies derived from it.
What the Tomatis method is based?
Alfred Tomatis developed and invented the so-called “electronic ear” to get wit that allows sounds to the ear of people who have difficulty with some of the frequencies or tones. This serves, so to speak, training for the auditory system allowing it to recover the sound memory and therefore expressive through spoken language.
Then Alfred Tomatis studied the influence of the ear on language learning and applied his method in this field as well as in the relationship ear with reading problems. This made the Tomatis method in a technique for children with learning difficulties. In addition, Tomatis developed a psychotherapeutic part through induction of prenatal sounds, to awaken and channel feelings or emotions in this process.
The three pillars of the Tomatis method
The pillars on which the Tomatis method is based are summarized in the so-called “three laws of Tomatis” which are as follows:
- 1 is the “Tomatis effect”. The larynx produces only the tones you hear the ear. For example, a person who does not hear the treble vocalizes.
- If a hearing is restored damaged restoring the ability to correctly hear frequencies lost or affected, they will be replenished rapidly and unconsciously the vocal emission.
- Exposing the person to stimulation with the electronic ear during a period of time, gets permanently modify hearing and therefore also the person phonation.
You may also like to read another article on LananClub: The Pre-School Education and Equal Opportunities
In what can help the Tomatis method
The Tomatis method, as well as children’s learning technique can help in the following areas:
- Personal development: the Tomatis method also can be used only for therapeutic issues, for example, improve communication, combat stress, improve the spoken voice, to prepare for childbirth.
- Learning technique: the Tomatis method is very effective as a child always learning technique they are not motor causes problems or intellectual deficits. So could help in attention problems, difficulty reading and writing (dyslexia) difficulty spelling (dysorthography), illegible handwriting (dysgraphia), confuse the numbers (dyscalculia), inability to speak well (dysphasia), clumsiness in motor skills (dyspraxia). It is also effective for language learning, educate the musical ear and educate the singing voice.
- Disorders: Autism, Asperger ‘s syndrome, psychomotor delays or disorders acquisition of coordinations.
To have a good treatment with this system is always better to address the Tomatis method approved centers. Make sure it is well but if there is none nearby, there are other techniques of study that may be of interest.
You can see some more in the section “Children learning techniques”. And if you want to know more about the difficulties children to learn, you will find information on our “learning disabilities.”